Bake The Perfect Rhubarb Pie with This Recipe from Cedar Circle FarmMay 26, 2022 04:32PM ● By Rose Terami
With summer just around the corner, what better way to ring in the season than with a slice of homemade pie? Cedar Circle Farm & Education Center in East Thetford shared their go-to recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Pie and we've put together a list of where you can find some of the ingredients locally.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- 2 frozen pie crusts
- 2.5 cups strawberries, chopped
- 3 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1/3 cup packed organic brown sugar
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large organic egg
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1) Defrost the pie crusts.
- 2) Combine strawberries, brown sugar, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- 3) Use a slotted spoon to put the filling in one crust, leaving the juices in the bowl.
- 4) Put butter pieces on top of the filling.
- 5) Roll out the remaining crust and cut into strips.
- 6) Weave strips over the top of the pie to create a lattice top (you can also make several cuts in the crust and place it on the pie whole).
- 7) Lightly brush the crust with egg and milk mixed together.
- 8) Bake in a preheated oven at 400ºF for 20 mins. Turn the temperature down to 350ºF, cover the pie with foil and bake for another 30 minutes.
- 9) Allow the pie to cool for at least 3 hours before serving to be sure to give the pie time to set. It can also be baked a day ahead!
Where to source your ingredients in the Upper Valley:
farmstands and farmers' markets throughout the Upper Valley often offer fresh rhubarb for sale. Otherwise, fresh rhubarb can be purchased at most grocery stores or can be easily grown in your backyard!
Cedar Circle Farm: sells fresh strawberries in their farmstand beginning in early or mid-June and offers pick your own strawberries starting around late June.
Butter, Milk, & Eggs
The best places to find local dairy products are at local markets and farmstands when they are in season (which is coming right up!) Try the Norwich farmers market (at the farmers market grounds on Route 5, open from 9-1 on Saturdays until October), Woodstock farmers market, and Hanover Farmers Market (on Wednesdays from 4-7 pm beginning June 2 located in the playing fields at Richmond Middle School on Route 10), and co-op food stores.